[isf-wifidog] Dynamic Abuse Control

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Mer 29 Juil 17:05:38 EDT 2009

On July 29, 2009, Dave Lamb wrote:
> I would just like to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly, so please
> correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> If I set the Abuse Control window to "1 Day"
> and I set the Network Max Connection Duration to "24:00:00"
>
> After 24 hours the user account should be disconnected, but the user should
> be able to log back in right away, correct?

Well, not really.  The 24 hours is a sliding window, so if you set the maximum
at the exact same amount as the limit. the user may or may not reach the limit
depending on the exact compare in the code, and the exact moment the gateway
reports to the auth server.

Basically that's really not what what dynamic abuse control is for.

> Basically, I see that I haven't had this setup, so any account that got
> logged in, stayed logged in in the "Connected Users" page.  I'd like to
> disconnect those so that accounts time out, and I'd like to force uses to
> sign back in after 24 hours to ensure that a Live user is connected.  But I
> don't want them to have any downtime.  Am I going about this correctly?
>
> Basically, I'd like it to work like at a hotel. Users signs up for 24 hours
> of service, and at the end of 24 hours they're asked to sign in again.

That use case was planned in the token architecture (you'd set the server to
emit tokens with a 24h validity).  Unfortunately, implement of the token
architecture hasn't really begun.

--
Benoit Grégoire