[isf-wifidog] fon is having pretty remarkable uptake with their method of deployement

Ian White ian.white at datamile-computers.com
Lun 6 Fév 12:18:31 EST 2006

Anything that can mesh well, and have a central server will be
excellent.

I've been running a locustworld meshap community mesh for a few years,
and anything that'll run on a wrt instead would be much better.

I've had wifidog on one firmware, but now I'm trying dd-wrt for its
tools, but its comes with nocat etc.

The php 5/postgres is an issue for us php4/mysql general hosters, but
I'm not going to start that one again

Ian

> All this talk is really interesting that I decided to talk about what
> I'm working on.
>
> At BC Wireless, we have a lot of different projects.  The main thing
> that I've been working on was creating a firmware that has WiFiDog
built
> in as well as OLSR for Mesh Networking.  The firmware has a modified
> WebIF, and right now is a general purpose firmware for BC Wireless.
>
> The firmware can be found at:
>
> http://www.infil00p.org/openwrt/snapshots/
>
> <disclaimer>
> Obligitory Disclaimer: This firmware is provided AS IS and has no
> guarantee of actual functionality.  You are using it at your own
risk,
> and you will void your warantee on your router.  I do not take any
> responsiblity for you damaging your router, and you acknowledge that
you
> are installing this at your own risk.
> </disclaimer>
>
> It's a modified version of OpenWRT WhiteRussian RC4.  Right now it
has
> most of our auto-config for BC Wireless added on, as well as most of
the
> scripting that's required to fix the way that OpenWRT handles
breaking
> up the bridge to have the WiFi card and the LAN seperate.  I haven't
> added any OLSR components onto the UI yet, and I am still fixing the
bug
> with the Firewall Scrpts.
>
> To Do:
> - Add OLSR config scripts
> - Update WiFiDog Auto-Configuration Script to also configure OpenVPN
for
> hotspots
> - Add the ability to turn on and off services from a web menu
> - Add a FirstBoot wizard for novices that does initial setup
>
> I was interested in setting something up for the WGT634U, however I
> heard that the device overheats so much that this would be
impractical.
> To be honest, we need to find an open alternative to all these
> off-the-shelf items so that we can run RoofNet, ADOV and other types
of
> mesh as well as OLSR.
>
> However, as for the practicality of WiFiDog, there really has to be
an
> IM system built in so that users who login to a hotspot can talk to
one
> another.  For example, the test node that I run out of my house using
> our Dev server has 14 users.  I've only met two of these users.
While