[isf-wifidog] Customising portal

Joe Bowser bowserj at unbc.ca
Sam 1 Avr 22:05:56 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 18:17 +0100, Maya Wiseman wrote:
> Totally agree, needs not distribution lisence govern platform choice.
>
> This thing needs to run on a location-aware service.
>
> Just to be clear, I recognise that I am a mere havoc-wreaking web
> designer. I'm not actually implementing any wifidog-related thing.
>
> I only hoped to understand enough be able to imagine a plausible
> installation procedure.
>
> The question is:
>  > If it runs externally and gets called from an iframe or a "URL to show
>  > instead of the portal", can it conceivably talk to wifidog about users
>  > and their login status?

I don't see why it shouldn't be able to, to a certain degree.  Namely if
users on a node choose to be viewed by the public, I don't see why there
couldn't be a script that just retuns the users who are logged in, and
wish to be seen at that node.  If the CMS is already location-aware or
somewhat location-aware (even if it's just a plain old website like
www.example.com/mylocationfolder/ that was a URL that was redirected
from WiFiDog) it already contains the information on the location, so it
should easly be able to send something like:

https://www.example-wifidog-server.net/whois.php?nodeid=mylocation&format=RSS

This functionality doesn't exist yet AFAIK, however I believe its
because user profiles (namely whether someone wants to notify everyone
that they're logged in or not) hasn't been implemented.  It woudln't be
hard to implement this.  However, I would like to see it implemented
like NodeLists, except have it be a UserList class.

Any Thoughts?

--
Joe Bowser <bowserj at unbc.ca>