[isf-wifidog] Some stuff regarding translations

Dana Spiegel dana at nycwireless.net
Mer 19 Oct 07:30:19 EDT 2005

I'd like to throw in my $0.02 on things like this. Certain words have
a "proper" spelling, and especially for public facing pages, we need
to use words that the general public will understand.

1) Hotspot is the accepted spelling, and it should only be
capitalized when used in a title or used to start a sentence.

2) People don't understand "node". I'm not talking about you and me,
or even our friends. I'm talking about Joe and Jane Schmoe on the
street. If they come across something having to do with Wi-Fi, they
will really only understand the word "hotspot" or "hotzone" since
they are what the press uses and what companies use. If you say
"node" to them, they'll look at you funny.

3) Wi-Fi should be spelled "Wi-Fi". It's a proper noun and an
industry trade name. "wi-fi", "wifi" WiFi" and "Wifi" (though used
like this in Wifidog) are improper spellings of the term. Wifidog is
ok because its a product name and can be trademarked, but when we
refer to the technology of Wi-Fi, we should do so with the right
spelling and capitalization.

Max, thanks for going through this. This is the kind of thing that
will make Wifidog into a polished software!

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless
dana at NYCwireless.net