[isf-wifidog] Some stuff regarding translations

Proulx François fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Mer 19 Oct 08:01:31 EDT 2005

> 1) Hotspot is the accepted spelling, and it should only be
> capitalized when used in a title or used to start a sentence.

Good point, I'm jotting it down so I can have a look when cleaning up
for 1.0

> 2) People don't understand "node". I'm not talking about you and
> me, or even our friends. I'm talking about Joe and Jane Schmoe on
> the street. If they come across something having to do with Wi-Fi,
> they will really only understand the word "hotspot" or "hotzone"
> since they are what the press uses and what companies use. If you
> say "node" to them, they'll look at you funny.

True, but you need to know that we have planned to (after 1.0) add
the concept of a hotspot, which will regroup 1-to-many nodes (radio
transmitter, WRT). Thus pretty much eliminating the word node for the
general public. Of course, it will still appear in the
administration. I've been told the same about node or noeuds in
french nobody but geeks understand the word ... So definitely this
will be improved accross the board. In other words, you will connect
the any node inside a hotspot, then will be shown the hotspot's
portal...

> 3) Wi-Fi should be spelled "Wi-Fi". It's a proper noun and an
> industry trade name. "wi-fi", "wifi" WiFi" and "Wifi" (though used
> like this in Wifidog) are improper spellings of the term. Wifidog
> is ok because its a product name and can be trademarked, but when
> we refer to the technology of Wi-Fi, we should do so with the right
> spelling and capitalization.

I'll have a look, but I'm wondering if we ever mention Wi-Fi
somewhere in the pages ?

Thanks for your comments, it's appreciated.