[isf-wifidog] authpuppy database

Geneviève Bastien gbastien at versatic.net
Mer 23 Fév 21:33:58 EST 2011

Hi Markus

El 23/02/11 06:52, Markus Gschwendt escribió:
> hi,
> we, a team based in vienna/austria (related to funkfeuer)
> wants to to extend authpuppy.
> i have some questions and will explain what we have in mind for the near
> future. please let me know what you think about it and how we can join
> the development team:
>
> * is this the mailinglist to diskuss authpuppy?
Launchpad is a good place to discuss authpuppy.  And I think we finally
fixed the authpuppy development mailing list, available at
http://www.authpuppy.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dev so that would be
the best way to discuss authpuppy development!  But this list is also a
place to discuss it.
> * we need a additional layer for 'nodes'/'devices'
>    at the moment 'node'='device' and there are only 'devices' in the db
>    we want to have several 'devices' per 'node'
>    todo:
>    * add new 'devices' table
>    * migration of data from the old 'nodes' table to 'device' table
>    * naming conventions
Indeed as Robin said, we are discussing the use of the word node, after
the last discussion I had with you ;-)  I think the core should stay as
it is with only one concept of 'device' (our node) and the 'node'/venue
concept should go in a plugin as it is not mandatory to the system.

> * device configs in the database (for a dashboard)
>    and functionality to send/retrieve configs to the 'device'
>    so we only need one generic firmware image per hardwaretype
That is a theme we, at the Alliance of Wireless Communities of Quebec,
are discussing as well, what is the best way to do it?  How to do it?
We do not have any fixed idea yet and we're open for discussions...

> * templates for device configs
>
> * grouping of nodes for owner, maintainer,...
Does this blueprint do what you mean?
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/authpuppy/+spec/plugin-node-administrators
> * converting db to utf8 charset
We use symfony's default configuration.  Is that not utf8?  If not, then
we'd need that too
> * communication with other developers?
Launchpad and the authpuppy mailing list are the best places to
communicate with other developers.  For myself, I'm in prolonged
vacation, but will be back working more heavily on AuthPuppy at the end
of may.

Welcome to the development team!

Geneviève