[isf-wifidog] Re : Re: Re : Re: WifiDog v2 development update?

wlanmac wlan at mac.com
Sam 4 Avr 15:14:12 EDT 2009

I don't know much about orangemesh, but open-mesh/robin supports the
so-called 'nodogsplash' and CoovaChilli access controllers. I have been
helping them with deeper integration with CoovaChilli, in fact.

For many, WiFiDog is great because it has everything you need - the self
contained portal/management application being the main focus of
attention. If you take away the portal, and only consider the access
controller features, I find it rather limiting and the gateway would
need work to do (standard) things like MAC address authentication (a
patch, btw, I submitted to WiFiDog probably over a year ago included
this in the "protocol"). But, with feature development being taken from
a purely portal perspective, basic features found in most commercial
(and open-source) access controllers haven't been a priority.

[For those unfamiliar, where WiFiDog uses it's own HTTP based protocol
for provisioning access and logged heart-beat messages, CoovaChilli and
most all commercial access controllers use RADIUS to provision access in
a standard (though sometimes vendor specific, depending on specific
features) way. With Chilli, you can limit time, data, and/or bandwidth.]

I have two minds about a "v2" development push. On the one hand, of
course those with networks deployed want support/maintenance and have
invested time/money. On the other hand, instead of building out a
"framework" and integrating in CMS features, why not pick a well
established framework with a TON of features already (and active
development community) and add in the Hotspot management features...
Ultimately, I think you'd have a better and more accessible project.
But, would that even be considered WiFiDog still? We'll see PylonDog
here soon, I expect.

David