[isf-wifidog] Re : Re: Re : Re: WifiDog v2 development update?

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Sam 4 Avr 14:25:07 EDT 2009

Hi -- I'm from Wireless Toronto.

My dream is for us here to be running our network on a platform
that'll accommodate the WRT54G investment that our venue partners have
already made, as well as allow us to manage the (probably) ROBIN-based
routers that we'll start deploying.  We're a culture-focused group, so
portal pages and content -- and consequently, a server -- are
necessary components.  I would like a little more intelligence on the
gateway side, so that users are still able to get online if the router
can't find the server.  I'm also interested in stepping away from an
authentication model, and move towards one of (bandwidth) accounting.
(Whereby users are only required to authenticate if they cross a
bandwidth usage threshold.)  This approach would improve the usability
of our network (giving us a distinct advantage over commercial WISPs),
it would reduce support requests, maybe make building out a mesh
easier, and make our network finally not-totally-annoying for users on
mobile devices.

I picture this dream platform being easier to achieve by building on
top of the soon-to-be-released (this summer?) open-mesh/orangemesh
system, rather than from the existing WifiDog code.  There are other
options I haven't looked into, but it seems to me that the openmesh
project has good momentum, and is a comparatively new system which has
been designed with usability on the admin side in mind.  I'm totally
open to other possibilities.  I know others have requirements that are
different than ours, but I'd love for us to be collaborating to figure
out what are the core features that we could all use and can work
together to build.

Dana: Are you committed to sticking with wifidog for the festival in
the fall, or would you consider using orangemesh, or something else?

Gabe