[isf-wifidog] Bandwidth control

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Lun 16 Juin 10:01:20 EDT 2008

On 16 June 2008, Theo Treffers wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It looks like I misunderstood what was meant by "avoiding abuse of your
> network". I understood that to mean that wifidog can limit the bandwidth
> used by user. I have installed it successfully and all is functioning
> but I don't see any such options. Am I correct in saying that this is
> not yet a feature? It is the sole reason for having installed Wifidog in
> the first place :-(.
>
> Having said that saw that there is changelog 1351 that seems to
> implement what I am looking for. Is this correct if is so, how would I
> go about installing that?

Just run "svn update" in you auth server directory (For more details, see
http://dev.wifidog.org/wiki/doc/upgrade/AuthenticationServerUpgrade).  Then
you need to give yourself the NETWORK_PERM_EDIT_DYNAMIC_ABUSE_CONTROL
permission.  Most likely by adding it to the NETWORK_OWNER role under "Server
administration" / "User roles".  You will then be able to set global and
per-node network limits by editing your network under "Network
administration"

> I am a complete noob when it comes to those
> things so a bit lost here. To illustrate why this is so important to us
> - I saw on one of your postings that one may want to limit a user to
> "say 40GB per month". In our situation in South Africa unfortunately an
> ADSL account comes with a limit of 3GB per month. We need to limit
> people to MB, rather than GBs - if possible per time period.

You can restrict per bytes if you want ;).  You can set the timeperiod
yourself, and restrict by connection time if you want.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.