[isf-wifidog] Wifidog UI and contributions

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 5 Sep 17:54:35 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Jeff Schallenberg wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca> wrote:
> > Rework the HTML to make it more flexible (making sure not to add any MSF
> > specific strings), modify the default Stylesheet so that it still works
> > correctly with the default theme, and send in a patch.
>
> Geez, Benoit - I thought that's what I did :-)

Sorry, I am replying the order you sent them... ;)

> The only HTML I could find in the whole package was in the template files.
> There were no MSF-specific strings, and the base stylesheet is easy enough
> to modify to include the new <div>.
>
> So, I am at a loss to know where to start. Where is this HTMLyou refer to,

According to a certain Jeff Schallenberg, it's there:

-Wadih took a look at the /login/login.php file, and found that the HTML of
the login page is hard-coded in there (line 249 et seq.)

> and what is meant by making it flexible?

In this case, allowing CSS more control over how it's displayed.

> Templates sure seem pretty
> flexible to me - isn't that what Smarty does - keep the HTML flexible by
> breaking it down into manageable templates?

Smarty is a template engine.  It allows...templating.

The benefits AND costs are many, context-dependent and often misunderstood
(especially in the context of CMSs).  We had long discussions about it
before, and I'd rather not start another one at this time.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.