[isf-wifidog] Motorla again #3

Don Druce dondruce at sympatico.ca
Lun 3 Sep 09:06:30 EDT 2007

I picked this up from Emil's blog  OGWifi.

I managed to figure out why the DHCP server wasn't working properly. The
Motorola firmware stores the range in the dhcp_start variable in a
format like this 192.168.10.2, while the OpenWRT's dnsmasq does not
recognize this format. Simply changing the variable with nvset to some
number such as 100 and rebooting the router makes dnsmasq and DHCP work
like a charm.

I figured out that nvset does not work, the proper syntax is:

# you change a key with:
nvram set key=value

I could not find the dhcp_start variable specified, but I did find:
wifi_dhcp_start=2

login as: root
root at 192.168.10.1's password:
BusyBox v1.00 (2006.03.27-00:00+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

  _______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 WHITE RUSSIAN (RC5) -------------------------------
  * 2 oz Vodka   Mix the Vodka and Kahlua together
  * 1 oz Kahlua  over ice, then float the cream or
  * 1/2oz cream  milk on the top.
root at Motorola:~# nvram set wifi_dhcp_start=100

This worked, but my router still will not connect to the internet.  I
know that I am getting through the router, because I can talk to my
Captive Server on the other side of the Router (WAN).   Wifidog simply
will not intercept and give me the logon screen.  I am not expert enough
to be able to trace this with knowledge.

So, can anyone send me an NVRAM dump from a working Motorola flashed router.

Would a dump from a working Linksys router be identical, or close enough
that I could use it ?   If so, could someone send me a dump.

 From PuTTY  nvram show, then copy result to Notepad and send.

Thanks.