[isf-wifidog] User profiles in WifiDog

François Proulx fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Jeu 11 Mai 22:02:10 EDT 2006

Benoit, I understand that  you prefer not to rely on some commercial
fad, that will probably get replaced in a few months / years. But
then the same reasoning can be applied to the Google Maps mashup I
did last summer. As far as I know, I have not heard anyone complain
that it was a terrible thing to use Google's API, that will most
probably eventually feature ads and be replaced by the next best
thing on the Web. No, I implemented it because we had dreamed of
having a map for so long and that there was a readily available tool
to do it. In the same manner, Google Maps is a service that users
know how to use and like. The same idea applies to Flickr and
del.icio.us for people that are interested in these services.

I hate when people argue like that, it just leaves a bad mood for
some time around the project. The profiles will most certainly be
improved step by step. If users could simply add a link to their
website, choose a nickname and add an avatar beside their nickname on
the portal I would be extremely pleased for a while. So let's not
rush adding Flickr, del.icio.us or whatever. I will be really happy
to have a look at these.

:-)

François