[isf-wifidog] User profiles in WifiDog

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Jeu 11 Mai 19:41:24 EDT 2006

On May 11, 2006 05:39 pm, Michael Lenczner wrote:
> I already registered my disatisfaction with Benoit in person about the
> way that this particular feature was being handled.
>
> I would have liked there to be a proposal for how profiles should work
> which would have then been discussed before it was coded, including a
> discussion of use-cases.

For the record, I spent hours discussing it with various people, especially
you.  But yeah, I didn't open a thread on it on the mailing list.  I presumed
that the feature request in the tracker, the various status reports that
mentionned it and announcing that I would be working on it this week was
enough.

> I'm especially concerned about how social networking services like
> things like myspace, flickr, blogs, friendster, 43 things, vlogging,
> podcasting, etc are included (or excluded) because I know that Benoit
> doesn't care about, use, and therefore can't understand very much
> about these extremely popular services which speak to the heart of
> what we're trying to do at ISF - finding ways to use technology to
> support community.

Several times in the past, you denied not respecting my professional
experience on web based systems.  After putting what you just did in writing,
I hope you realize that I will never believe you again.

> the decision making (like Francois - who found out only by accident
> that profiles was being coded today and therefore sent the previous
> email with his opinion

Well, I sent a message sunday stating that I would be working on it this week.
I also said in St-louis that I would be working on it.  The ticket was in SVN
since june of LAST YEAR, if anyone wanted to discuss it by email they had
ample opportunity.

> - and people from Wireless Toronto that have
> probably thought a bunch about profiles before).

If they did, it would be nice to hear what they had in mind.

> That being said, I don't want to be unappreciative of anyone's time
> that they are putting into this effort - Benoit least of all.

Unfortunately, stating it does not make it so.

> But I do want
> to register that I very much wish that this feature had been handled
> in a different manner where we had had a public discussion of a
> proposal, even if it was a short one, -both at ISF and on the wifidog
> list - before it was coded.

There was ample, repetitive opportunities for public discussion, but no one
decided to do it.  While nowadays I ocassionaly send architecture overviews
by emails about specific features, I can't do it in every case, these things
take time, and few people get back to me.

But anyway, that's not your problem at all since clearly the lack of
transparency you accuse me of is factually wrong.  Nor do you have anything
to actually complain about since I didn't implement it yet!  But now I know
what your actual problem is:  You think I don't understand the first thing
about flickr, web 2.0 and aggregation, and you don't trust me to get it
right.

So since you are obviously not the one who will code it, I suggest you find
someone who has the skills necessary to come up with a workable (and possibly
better) architecture.

In the meantime I'll try to find motivation to get back to actually doing it,
after a year and a half of endlessly talking about it, and this afternoon of
wasted time.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/