[isf-wifidog] fon is having pretty remarkable uptake with their method of deployement

Dana Spiegel dana at nycwireless.net
Dim 5 Fév 23:13:57 EST 2006

What's the point?

Fon is a parasitic money generating business. It presents 2 problems:

1) Density. Only people who live right next to each other have the
possibility of sharing internet through Fon. Most people live too far
away. Even if they didn't. The likelihood of someone else putting up
a fon hotspot that I could use is close to zero.

2) Even if (1) weren't the case, the vast majority of people aren't
going to bother putting this up. Now, they could pay fon for access
to hotspots, but that discourages the creation of new hotspots. In
economic terms, this is an unstable equilibrium. As more people want
to get access, they pay for it or ignore the system completely. This
doesn't cause the growth of the fon installed base so there's no
positive reason why I as an entrant should want to create a "Linus"
type node. Instead, it causes me to put up a "Bill" type node, but as
more appear, I make less and less. So I have little reason to keep my
fon hotspot online, which drives down the installed base of "Bills",
and puts even more negative pressure on me establishing a "Linus" node.

Frankly, Fon needs a critical mass in order to be even close to
successful. Until then, they're just going to try to make as much
money as they can.

For Wifidog, what's the big drive to create a "consumer" and a
"business" version? If you are a consumer, you learn about this and
do it yourself. If you are a business, and you want to hire someone
to do it for you, you hire a consultant to install it. Billing is
such a headache and expensive to operate, that you'd have to have
significant usage if you were to profitably invest in this.

Dana Spiegel
Executive Director
NYCwireless
dana at NYCwireless.net