[isf-wifidog] redirecting traffic based on agent

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 13 Déc 16:07:14 EST 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 12:28, moonsammy wrote:
> so you're saying as part of the authentication handshake a customized
> URL can be looked up by RADIUS (or other server side component) and
> passed back to the gateway for a particular user?

Not by RADIUS, but the auth server can definitely be modified to send
customised portal to the users based on user-agent (which would be
the "wifidog way" of doing things), or even a custom portal URL.

> question: are there facilities in 802.1x for 1) forwarding the agent
> and application headers from the gateway to server for indivudial
> users, then 2) allow the server to process the rules and 3) passing it
> back to the gateway for the purpose of individual session redirection?

No, it doesn't.

> why not just do that in a custom gateway build and handle it all at
> the edge and use the server to just centrally manage AAA, the
> redirection rules distribution and reporting???
>
> is there some huge hole in my logic? feel free to point out any.

That's the exact opposite of the wifidog captive portal suite design:  dumb
edges, smart central server.  Wifidog's is designed to excel at serving
localised content with sub 100$ hardware at the edges.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.