[isf-wifidog] Roadmap?

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Mer 18 Mai 08:51:38 EDT 2005

hiya,

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 04:22:24AM -0700, Matthew Asham wrote:
> Hello,
> If there's no roadmap for us to evaluate, how should we avoid stomping/
> introducing things that are not necessarily desirable for you?
>
> Forking has been suggested by other folks in our group but I'd like some
> guidance before going down that road.

I'll second that - we're in very much the same position

We've come a long way in terms of application design - we even have some
code to release in the next few weeks that sounds like it might well be
moving in the same direction as bcwireless.

I think there are so many common needs and interests here, if all those
who are doing active development could make a roadmap - and then we could
try and sync them, that would really rock.

We have started working wth the Open Knowledge Foundation - a small
independent group and Freifunk.net who are supporting the (Hello) World
Summit on Free Information Infastructures prep-con this October in London
http://wsfii.org I know it's been mentioned on this list before. It's a
meeting that has grown out of bi-annualsh meetings of International Free
Networkers that started in Berlin in 2002 and last met in Djursland in
Denmark last summer: http://www.freifunk.net:8080/sc2004/wiki/

Basically - the idea for this year is to get people from every corner of
free infrastructures: Free Geodata, Free Hardware, Free Networks, Public
Knolwledge Infrastructures etc. etc. to get together and cross the
streams. We want to use our free network as a platform and a test-bed for
doing community currencies, local information services, etc. etc. and to
have something really rocking and ready for October.

Basically, we were hoping to invite any groups who are asking 'once we've
got our free network, what are we going to do with it?' to get together
and try and work on a system that we can all use in a nice, modular,
federal way..

Heres's yet another wiki page (yay!):
- http://okfn.org/wsfii/wiki/WsfiiDev

And even better, a mailing list!:

I feel a bit bad because we've been squatting isf's mailing list, using
it to discuss our own shit while you lot have your own traffic  to worry
about!

So - I hope this sounds useful in some way, and that people with an
interest and time to read email and do some wikiing about this stuff will
be up for using that shared space...

Cheers, and ISF peeps - hope you don't mind the mailing list overhead :)
It's your own faults for getting so far with your very interesting
apprach!

S.