[isf-wifidog] Roadmap?

Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux saruman at northernhacking.org
Mer 18 Mai 20:11:33 EDT 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 02:16:49PM +0100, Ian White wrote:

>  Pull the splash from an external server (easy for businesses to integrate
> with their web page).
> ˇ       Click through T&C (from external web server).

	That's what the now out of date "wifidog-auth-lite" did, with as
only requirements, php3+.

> ˇ       Option for a 4 digit PIN (same for all customers) so bars can have
> the PIN displayed to restrict to in-house customers).

	Starting from the wifidog-auth-lite, this would be a breeze to
add.

> ˇ       Timeout selectable with a set 'ban" time so kicked off after 2
> hours and banned for 24.

	So, that's also what the auth server does. ISF itself hasn't had
interest in this feature. Probably because our focus is not on wifi has
a value-add for business so much.

> ˇ       WDS and bridging is important.

	We use bridging in some deployed configs. This has to be handled
at the level of openwrt and is actually completely transparent to wifidog
itself.

> A php based auth server is good.. shame most public servers are still on
> php4.

	Sounds to me like there's a need for wifidog-auth-lite to be
revived and used as platform for those lighter weight distributed
services.

	I originally wrote it overnight for use in a Click-and-Surf one
time setup we did a while ago for a conference. It would need to be
changed to fit the current way that wifidog works. After that, using a
flat file for connection tracking or maybe mysql, it'd be good to go
with timeout and MAC based bans and so on.

Alex