[isf-wifidog] Roadmap?

Matthew Asham matthewa at bcwireless.net
Mer 18 Mai 07:22:24 EDT 2005

Hello,

We've been using Wifidog for our general hotspot program but we've also
been developing our community informatics framework based around the
principles of decentralized information storage and running "thin"
application services across a community cloud.

The model is still being developed and I'm not going to get into
technical specifics as it's still experimental, but right now we plan on
storing data in "community libraries" using an xml|rss/http service.
Authentication would also need to support foreign sources such as those
run by Internet societies in other parts of our Province.

The reason for for doing this is to aid in developing other
applications, including vertical applications that run on access points
and servers across the cloud, but allowing for the data to be pulled by
other applications in the network (uh, sounds familiar eh?)

Wifidog is our obvious choice for handling authent and portaling, but
we're concerned that our needs are not necessarily the same as ISFs,

Comments made my Michael indicate that technical collaboration isn't
really practical but I have also been told that he wants to see us
contributing more to Wifidog's code base.

So here's my concern.

If there's no roadmap for us to evaluate, how should we avoid stomping/
introducing things that are not necessarily desirable for you?

If there is a road map, there's bound to be commonalities and we can
contribute bits that ARE relevant (such as GIS stuff) but does that mean
we should fork the WifiDog and make a point at keeping you up to date on
our progress?

Forking has been suggested by other folks in our group but I'd like some
guidance before going down that road.

Cheers

Matthew

--
Matthew Asham - the B.C. Wireless Network Society
www.bcwireless.net - +1 604 484 5289 x1006