[isf-wifidog] WifiDog Implimentation

Proulx François fproulx at edito.qc.ca
Mar 6 Déc 07:10:41 EST 2005

Hi Chris,

The Wifidog gateway has been tuned for running on embedded devices
such as the Linksys WRT54g (it works beautifully on top of OpenWRt, a
Linux distribution for the Linksys box). So the WRT54g is configured
in such a way that we create three interfaces : WiFi which is
monitored by WiFidog, LAN ports which we leave open for plain wired
connectivity and WAN port for connecting to the backbone. This is the
typical configuration we use in Montreal, but you might decide to
bridge interfaces so that WiFidog can listen to wired port as well.

You can download our special OpenWRT firmware for the WRT54g here
(works for WRT54G up to version 4 or any WRT54GL)
http://ilesansfil.org/dist/install/openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin

Of course, the gateway could be installed on any Linux box, but it's
much more convenient and practical in an embedded device. Then
there's the authentication server which requires an Apache, PHP5,
Postgresql install...

Hope that answers some of your questions.