[isf-wifidog] Implementing ipv6 support on wifidog

Andrew Niemantsverdriet andrewniemants at gmail.com
Lun 14 Fév 10:19:07 EST 2011

Hi.

2011/2/14 Jean-Philippe Menil <jean-philippe.menil at univ-nantes.fr>:
> Le 14/02/2011 15:49, Andrew Niemantsverdriet a écrit :
>>
>> Hi

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> maybe i'm misunderstood.
>>> But with the actual wifidog, a client do a http request, request which is
>>> "natted" to the 2060 port, port on wich the wifidog daemon is listen to.
>>> Without this nat rule, you don't have any redirection.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>
>> Jean Philippe,
>>
>> You are correct. IPv6 has no concept of NAT so the current way wifidog
>> works is not possible. However (correct me if I am wrong) ipv6tables
>> do support the queue mechanism. That would allow us to mark the
>> packets and pass them into user space. From there a proxy of some sort
>> could be used to implement the actual captive portal and when the user
>> authenticates the queue rule could be removed.  Similar to what
>> wifidog does now.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  _
>> /-\ ndrew
>
> Yes,
>
> but if you do that, there will be two mechanism of redirection, one for ipv4
> (wifidog dameon listen on port 2060), another for ipv6 (local proxy or
> whatever).
>
> It will be good to have an unique mechanism working with both ipv4/ipv6.
> Maybe it will a good idea to look at the tproxy target.
>
> I've see a interesting feature with rahunas (see rahunas.org). It's working
> with ipset.
> Maybe another way to do it.
>
> In fact, i'm very interesting to work on ipv6 support.
>

> Regards.

Jean Philippe,

ipv4 iptables contains the queue target as well. So the same mechanism
would work for both, I think. However that being said after having
researched the TPROXY target more I agree that it might be the way to
go. I have not heard of ipset however it looks very interesting. I too
would be interested in working on IPv6 support and have one other
person that works for me who would be too.

I would be interested in seeing what the design goals.

Thanks,
 _
/-\ ndrew