[isf-wifidog] Understanding the WiFidog Firewall process

Steve Congrave steve at congrave.com
Mer 27 Jan 10:38:58 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: wifidog-bounces at listes.ilesansfil.org
[mailto:wifidog-bounces at listes.ilesansfil.org] On Behalf Of Jean-Philippe
Menil
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:34 AM
To: WiFiDog Captive Portal
Subject: Re: [isf-wifidog] Understanding the WiFidog Firewall process

Steve Congrave a écrit :
> I'm trying to understand the WiFidog firewall process (sorry for
> newbie questions LOL) and have read the developer docs at
> http://dev.wifidog.org/wiki/doc/developer/FlowDiagram
>
> The Gateway Firewall rules (iptables) mangles the initial user request
> and starts the auth process.
> I'm ok with this and the auth process but what I find hard to
> understand is how is the firewall opened up for an authenticated client?
>
> What is the process and ruleset that allows a client that has been
> authenticated, access through the firewall, and how is that then
> closed down after the client has been de-authenticated (if they run
> out of access time allowance for example)?
>
> I'm trying to understand the role of iptables and whether there are
> changes made to it dynamically or if something else is tagging the
> traffic before it hits the firewall
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Steve
>

>Hi,

>here you can find a good map of the wifidog firewall rules:

>http://wireless-speed.blogspot.com/2009/04/wifidog-hack-iptables-map-rules.
html

>Regards.

Thanks

I can see the diagram but not familiar with the Arabic text :)

So iptables chains/rulesets are static and don't change.

How can we see the list and status of users on the node so that I can
determine their 'pathway' through the iptables chains? Is this information
available or could it be logged by a hack to the source?

Steve