[isf-wifidog] IPTables locking up with OpenWRT - another distro?

Steve Congrave steve at congrave.com
Mer 17 Fév 10:47:31 EST 2010

This is a problem that we get on about 50% of our nodes every day and we are
also stumped as to what causes it.

We don't know if it's an OpenWRT problem or a WiFidog problem but it
manifests itself in the same way - customers connect fine to the node and
when authenticated they can access the Web. At some point afterwards - 1 to
4 hours later, customers suddenly get blocked from accessing the web. They
can access any static routes setup in IPTables and they can ping the auth
server IP - but everything else is blocked and they just get 'cannot connect
to...' standard browser messages.

We have tried changing the DHCP lease times with no effect.

We test for memory leaks and that isn't the problem.

We have used variants of the WRT54GL and the WRG54-TM and it makes no
difference.

At this point I have a reboot established every 2 hours so that we can
maintain some sort of service but it is so frustrating as no-one has ever
found the fix and most people never seem to see the problem. You are one of
the first that I have seen with the identical problem.

We are trying to create a new build using the latest OpenWRT and the new 2.6
kernal to see if that fixes the problem - we did consider a new version of
IPTables as OpenWRT uses quite an old version but this is all still work in
progress so we won't know if it helps until it's completed and tested.

It's a nasty little bug that frustrates the heck out of me!

Steve