[isf-wifidog] Presenting AuthPuppy: a new generation authentication server

Genevieve Bastien gbastien at versatic.net
Jeu 8 Avr 16:27:11 EDT 2010

Hello all,

This is to announce that there's a new puppy in town: AuthPuppy, led by
the Quebec wireless communities and planned to be the successor of
wifidog, under active development.

Wifidog is a great application, and has allowed to build great wireless
organizations around the world.  But as wireless communities matured and
needs became more complex, we (the Alliance of Wireless communities of
the province of Quebec) felt that wifidog wasn't as scalable to
those new needs as we could wish for.

Hence the need for AuthPuppy.  Developed in php using the symfony
framework, with a light core and plugin architecture, it will easily be
fitted to anyone's need.

The puppy is a few weeks old and not mature enough to be used in
production yet, but he is ready to show his face to the world!  We plan
an alpha release for the end of the month.  AuthPuppy is only the auth
server and the gateways will work with it as well as with wifidog.

The source code is hosted on launchpad : https://launchpad.net/authpuppy
We have a wiki: http://authpuppy.org/wiki
You can reach the developer team (and ask to join in!) at :
dev at authpuppy.org
We'll have a mailing list soon.
The puppy even has his own twitter account! http://twitter.com/authpuppy

To join the development effort, read
http://authpuppy.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started and get started with
the puppy!  We need help with everything: programming plugins, making
the interface nicer, helping with the core, etc.
If you have any suggestions, comments, questions, you may use launchpad.

Wifidog is still alive of course.  AuthPuppy is a parallel project that
we think will answer the growing needs of our communities better.

Thank you,

--
Geneviève Bastien