[isf-wifidog] Wifidog for real HEAVY usage

Jean-Philippe Menil jean-philippe.menil at univ-nantes.fr
Sam 26 Sep 02:26:49 EDT 2009

Genevieve Bastien a écrit :
> Menil Jean-Philippe wrote:
>
>> Genevieve Bastien a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Ile sans fil is thinking of offering wireless internet access at
>>> conferences and conventions where there can be as much as thousands of
>>> people wanting to connect.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience with that kind of (wifidog) setting, with
>>> heavy load usage?  We'd like to hear about it.  What kind of
>>> configuration did you use?  Small router gateway or routing PC?  How did
>>> wifidog do?  What were the problems encountered? etc
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> at university, i have a server with 7 wifidog gateway daemon with 150
>> - 200 users on each.
>> My biggest problem is the performance due to the complexity of the
>> auth server.
>> When one user want tio log, it's do multiple sql request and other...
>> Imagine when hundred of client want to connect ...
>>

> Jean-Philippe...
>
> I'd like to know more about your setting.  Do your gateway daemons run
> on the auth server itself (with possibly 7 wireless cards)  Where are
> your access points and what kind of hardware do you use for that?  I'm
> curious to know if 200 users per gateway can be reached without
> enterprise grade hardware.
>
> Thanks

Hi,
Yes, wifidog daemons are running on the auth server, with 7 vlan network
card on it, and it's for wired users.
It's a special need for student appartments (Cite universitaires).
The server is a dell, Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz with a large amount
of ram.

Usualy, i create virtual server, but for wifidog, the performances were
terribly awfull.
Now, i've adjust some php code, you can remove the main content in the
index.php of login.
And some others... Because like i said, when a user log in, there are
too many postgres access (calculate how many users have been
authentified on this network, etc ...)

AND ESPECIALLY:
YOU MUST PATCH THE WIFIDOG GATEWAY WITH THE 471 BUG TICKET
http://dev.wifidog.org/ticket/471

I've don't seen this patch on the new revision...

If you don't patch, the daemon crash with a large amount of users.
I've submited core debug on 527 ticket.

Regards

--
Menil Jean-Philippe