[isf-wifidog] Wifidog for real HEAVY usage

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Ven 25 Sep 04:23:41 EDT 2009

On 2009-9-25 06:01, Richard Lussier wrote:
> Hi,
> Well first you need to think of serving 1000 people with any system
> (wired for example...)
> That is a lot and require enterprise class network, specially with power
> users...
> Then you have to accept the fact that in wireless, a regular access
> point will accept no more than 30-50 users comfortably....
> Even the powerfull ones that WISP uses will accept no more than 100
> (e.g. Ubiquiti Rocket M (n mimo 2x2 with Airmax) and mimo 2x2 clients
> with Airmax, which is impossible.
> The router will scale to the lowest level of 802.11 used, normally "b"
> at 11Mbps which make 5.5Mbps full duplex to share among users (30 to 50)
> So, no a easy , or even possible thing to achieve...?

You can achieve it, but you will need a large number of APs at well
choosen locations. You may want to look at equipment that can handle the
802.11b/g/n separately instead of degrading everyone to 802.11b. You may
need to split the location into separate VLANs to prevent overload from
broadcasts. I'ld say the software is probably the simplest part of such
a setup.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.