[isf-wifidog] Wifidog for real HEAVY usage

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Jeu 24 Sep 17:36:53 EDT 2009

Almost always when we've set up wifi at conferences, we've ended up turning
off the wifidog gateway, and just running in 'open' mode.  Either it's
because use was heavy and the auth server was responding slowly (we have a
modest machine), or people got confused by the captive portal, or the
bandwidth demand was greater than the venue's Internet connection could
support, so we turned off the portal just to reduce the hassle for users.

This, too, is using 'guest' mode -- we wouldn't ask users to create an
account, considering that they're likely just one-time users.

I think there are some amazing opportunities to use portal pages at
conferences for social media experiments, but we still have a lot of work to
do there...

Gabe
(Wireless Toronto)