[isf-wifidog] Wifidog based cafe "ticket" and computer rental system

daniel at port.as daniel at port.as
Mar 17 Nov 13:48:36 EST 2009

Hey Wifidog enthusiasts,

I've built and have been using a ticketing and rental system for a cafe my friend owns. The entire system runs on the router (a WRT54G using OpenWrt) but can be distributed differently. It only uses the Wifidog gateway, the portal is totally replaced (and it does not use a DB for simplicity). Originally I thought that it was too customized to be of use to anyone else, but I'm happy to share my code with the community if there is interest. I haven't written too much documentation, so if you are interested in using this system then helping write some documentation would be very helpful.

Features:

- provides unique time-limited "tickets" (that is, a code to access the system) that can be distributed to customers limiting their internet use
- enables time-limited on/off control of rental computers (wired or wireless)
- customized splash page for entering tickets and advertising
- support for bandwidth and connection monitoring (not QoS or bandwidth shaping though)
- MAC address support
- password protected web based control panel (see attached screen shot)
- robust, reliable design (low maintenance, low failure rate)

It is by no means a complete, commercial grade system, but I've been using it for over a year with excellent results.

Please let me know if this system is worth open-sourcing to the Wifidog community.