[isf-wifidog] Ok, the real message: RADIUS, MySQL, Postgres, reimplementations & the Sherbrooke meeting and other things

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Mer 27 Mai 13:01:19 EDT 2009

Benoit Grégoire a écrit :
>> All (well, just about) RADIUS servers allow adding users through plugins,
>> or direct manipulation of their backend data store. However, as far as I
>> know standard RADIUS extension to allow creating a user in a RADIUS server
>> using only the RADIUS protocol.
>

> ^ Oups, that sentence wasn't clear, I meant to say as far as I know
> there aren't any such standardized extensions. Marc?

some vendors have done extensions for this, but I'm not sure that this
feature (adding new users) would be appropriate directly through RADIUS
in the community wifi free selfsubscribing scenarios.

Because adding a new user involves UI: i.e. ask a password, maybe
redirect to https to secure the password, maybe check with javascript
the strength of the password, maybe ask a captcha to remove the
spammers, maybe the userid is already defined, therefore ask user to
define a new id, maybe have a way to provide email of a new password
when you forgot it, etc... Therefore, to me, adding a new user is made
using standard http scripting. The script would most likely write into
the RADIUS backend DB, it might also use the RADIUS extensions. would
have to be looked at what is the most appropriate solution.

Marc.

=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca