[isf-wifidog] [AllianceCSF] postgresql vs mysql, get into the flamebait

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Mar 26 Mai 11:54:54 EDT 2009

Sylvain Carle a écrit :
>> je ne suis même pas sûr qu'on ait besoin d'un BD dans wifidog. En tout
>> cas, pas besoin pour le côté opérationel: i.e. authentification,
>> service, usagers, etc...  tout devrait être géré par RADIUS.
>
> I would say "all could be managed by Radius" but it should remain an
> option, not the only way. Radius is great but it might be too much to
> ask to some of the communities listed on
> http://dev.wifidog.org/wiki/Community - we should not forget that some
> organizations have less ressources, we shall not create a situation
> where they can't use wifidog anymore.

I don't see any issue with RADIUS and communities with less ressources.
On the contrary. as soon as you use RADIUS, you get all the
documentation available everywhere on the net. you get all the expertise
that is available.

it is more a question of packaging than anything else.

The more you reuse what is available, the less you need to start
documenting, which is the main issue with communities with less resources.

I think v2 could heavily use RADIUS and have a wifidog-v1 gateway (i.e.
a small web script in php/perl/...) to gateway the requests to the
RADIUS backend. that way, a v2 server can serve both zap-v1 and zap-v2
at the same time.

Marc.

=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca