[isf-wifidog] Geocoding

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Mer 22 Juil 14:10:33 EDT 2009

On July 21, 2009, Robin Jones wrote:
> I have recently been (re)looking into geocoding for the UK within WiFidogs
> auth server.
>
> The only problem is that due to yahoos terms and conditions, I would need
> to add another API Key to the servers Virtual Host in order for this to
> work properly. So, since these providers both offer geocoding for quite a
> few countries, e.g. USA, Canada, UK. would it not be better for either the
> geocode provider to be selected from a list and the necessary API key
> entered, or spaces for multiple API keys with a primary geocoder field with
> the option to try others if one cannot find an address? this way, a lot
> more of our community will benefit from the geocoding features of wifidog.

I have no objections to adding additional API key fields to the vhost
structure.

I also have no objection to refining the geocoder systems to allow the user to
try multiple ones.  However, the default one should probably live in the
Network structure, not the VHost.

> I have also noticed with google maps JavaScript API V3, you are no longer
> required to have an API Key, which is quite interesting.. source:
> http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/v3/

Interesting obviously.  If the "missing features compared to V2" turn out not
to be used in wifidog, a port would make initial auth server setup considerably
easier to understand (and local development more convenient).

--
Benoit Grégoire