[isf-wifidog] no-nat gateway

Jacob Marble jacobmarble at gmail.com
Mar 14 Juil 11:35:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Jean-Philippe
Menil<jean-philippe.menil at univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
> Jacob Marble a écrit :
>> I would like to use wifidog on a router that does *not* have NAT
>> running.  Something like:
>>
>> eth0: 192.168.0.123/16
>> eth1: 192.168.1.1/24
>>
>> with static routes, etc.  I have modified the wifidog source code for
>> my needs in the past, but I'm having a hard time really following the
>> iptables tricks that wifidog plays.
>>
>> Does anyone out there use wifidog in a non-NAT router?  Can you get me
>> started?  Thanks in advance,
>>
> Hi,
>
> why exactly don't you need nat?

We have nat on our "uplink" router, connected to mesh nodes via
wireless back hauls.  This nat router provides a /16 network.  It will
perform ESFQ, which is an easy way to limit bandwidth to every ip
address in the /16.  I want the mesh nodes to each run wifidog,
passing the traffic along as a router, so that the main "uplink" nat
router can limit all of the users to a fair amount of bandwidth.

If the mesh nodes were each running their own nat, then ESFQ would be
needed on each node and the result would be very much less nice than
the first paragraph.  Like having lumps in your pancakes.  Or crepes.

Thank you for the jpg, it's a lot easier to read than iptables -L...

Jake