[isf-wifidog] Lot WiFiDog, Vol 55, Parution 12

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Lun 24 Aou 13:59:18 EDT 2009

On August 19, 2009, mackay wrote:
> Thanks Dave,
>
> I had a look at the Networks table and that looks fine to me.
>
> So I did a db dump (pg_dump -U postgres -b -o -v -f ./dump.dump wifidog)
> and have uploaded the dump file here http://auth.corfunet.com/dump.dump
>
> But a dump of the users, network_stakeholders, server_stakeholders,
> networks, nodes, roles, server and virtual_hosts tables I have appended it
> to http://auth.corfunet.com/install.txt
>
> To be honest I cannot find/see anything wrong with the tables.
>
> I did a swap of the user_id in the network_stakeholders, and
> server_stakeholders with the guest account's user_id to elevate his
> privaliges and was able to log in.
> This suggests to me that something is or went wrong with the user_id for
> the admin account.
>
> ... hmmm could it be that I ticked the 'Make this Virtual Host the server's
> default' in the Virtual host managment window when I added my new virtual
> host.
> (following the tutorial at
> http://dev.wifidog.org/wiki/doc/admin/GettingStarted and ticking the 'Make
> this Virtual Host the server's default' near the end)
> This would change the "localhost" virtual host not to be the default? but
> this would imply the admin account is liked in some way to the
> default-network authenticator.
>
> i.e. the login process is is based on username, password and default server
> and not the username / password.

Logins are based on 4 factors:
username or email
password
Network (by default, each network has their own set of users.  If you have
more than one network, you will have a select box on the login page)
Authenticator  (determined by the Network)

The Virtual Host will determine which Network is pre-selected when you login.

The most common cause of trouble logging in as an admin are:
- Accidentally Wiping out the authenticator parameters in network configuration
- Not selecting the right Network to login as the original admin account.
--
Benoit Grégoire