[isf-wifidog] Re : Re: WifiDog v2 development update?

Jean-Philippe Menil jean-philippe.menil at univ-nantes.fr
Sam 4 Avr 11:13:46 EDT 2009

Robin Jones a écrit :
> At this point I would like to throw in my 2 cents.
>
> First of all, in order to ramp up the development of V2, or even finish
> V1, we need to get more people to:
> a) send in more patches
> b) aid more in the testing of what has been achieved.
>
> Also, we need more people with development skills in the following
> areas:
> a) Graphic Design: I have worked hard to make the GUI more appealing and
> easier to understand, but I am no graphic designer by any means. Also I
> feel that I have received no feedback on the changes that have been
> made, so I can't continue to improve what I have already done.
> b) Scripting: If someone could script the setup of WiFiDog auth, so that
> it makes sure all of the perquisites are installed, creates the
> necessary folders if they don't exist, and invokes install.php, for as
> many distributions as possible, I think that both the current community
> and new members will be most grateful
> c) More ideas and concept GUIs for easier navigation of the auth server,
> I have always thought that there should be a tree view on the right-hand
> side which drills down by Server > Networks > Venues > Nodes, with the
> view being restricted by permissions.
> d) Documentation Writers: All the information is there, it is just hard
> to find what you need, this needs to be compiled and corrected, also
> lots more developer documentation would make it easier for people to get
> involved.
>

> Second of all, I believe it is important that we get a forum setup. This
> will make it a lot easier for people to ask for help, and also easier to
> find answers, as all the information will be in one place. At the
> moment, we have the mailing list, IRC and the Wiki, and for some reason
> new users always seem to use the Bug Tracker, which has got to stop.
>
> This brings me onto my third point, the website could really benefit if
> it was independent from the Trac, Most open source software is like this
> and it is more appealing to new users, easier to navigate and also may
> encourage more people to get on board with the development.
>

> Lastly, I understand that different people want different things from
> the Auth Server, I for instance only really needed a portal and user
> manager and the ability for logging activity. When 2.0 is thought about,
> I believe we should become more modular and offer features like CMS
> separately also, an auto updating feature would be amazing.
>
> I can't offer any input on the WiFiDog Client Damon as I never have got
> it to work properly, either in a development environment or a production
> environment, but this is mainly because I haven't got the hardware
> resources.
>

> Robin

I think the idea of a forum would be great,
too many people use the bug tracker in wrong way.
And not so many use the mailing list.

I see many people complain about "why my client can't get the login page",
most of the time, it's because their iptables rules are wrong.
Maybe can i write a "Some things to check when it doesn't work".

I'm not so good in php, so, maybe, can i help in the gateway development?
At work, i've a sufficient environment for tests.

--
Menil Jean-Philippe
Dsi de l'Université de Nantes
Jean-Philippe.Menil at univ-nantes.fr