[isf-wifidog] Re : Re: WifiDog v2 development update?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Sam 4 Avr 09:14:40 EDT 2009

Previously bruno.remy at videotron.ca wrote:

> > > I have a captive portal implementation based on Pylons running at
> > > Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. If there's enough interest I can
> > split out
> > > the proprietary stuff and release that as well.
> > >
> > > Wichert.
> > >
> > +1
> >
> > I'm very interested by your implementation with Pylon.
> > Is ther a wifigod daemon running too?
> >
> > --
> > Menil Jean-Philippe
>
> That's a good question, Jean-Philippe : What are we talking to, really?
> Upgrade the Wifidog server from actual version to a brand-new one V 2.0?
> Or switch from wifidog captive portal to another one (Drupal, Pylon, or whatever.....)?

In my case I am running a (slightly modified) wifidog server with a
custom portal. Being able to choose between different portals is very
useful; I do not think it is possible to have a single portal
implementation that suits everyone's needs and not have it end up being
overly complex and hard to use.

> First, we are writing here into the "Wifidog mailling list", and
> second, this topic is"WifiDog v2 development update".  This led to the
> fundamental question : does everyone here wants to improve Wifidog, in
> a way of keeping it, instead of scraping it and choose another product
> existing in the market (OpenSource or not.... doesn't matter)?

There is an important related question: do you consider the current
wifidog and portal to be tied together and form a single product, or do
you consider them to be separate things and encourage development of
other portals using the wifidog server?

Wichert.