[isf-wifidog] Server Capacity Question

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Ven 25 Jan 10:24:47 EST 2008

On 24 January 2008, Andrew wrote:
> Hi List-
>
> I have about 160 active nodes running on a dedicated server (P3, 1G RAM,
> Fedora 6). I keep running out of RAM and Apache seems to spawn many
> processes during peak usage. Does anyone have a rule of thumb or a
> recommendation on the amount of server resources required by 1, 10, 100
> nodes?

The main performance impacting factor is the content you deliver.  Second is
the number  of concurrent users, not nodes.  But the actual authentication
requiremets are pretty minimal and quite optimized.

Before you check anything else, make sure you read "My auth server used to be
fast, but now it's slower and slower, even under no load" in the FAQ.  More
often than not that's the explanation to performance problems.  But if your
server has going on a long time without proper VACUUMING, even VACUUM FULL
may not cut it.  In that case, you may want to shutdown apache, and run the
vacuum_last_resort_backup_restore_database.sh in the SQL folder.

If that's not your problem, you may need a bigger machine.  If the problem is
that your content delivery scenario is too complex, you'll likely benefit
mostly from more CPU.  If your content delivery scenario is simple, RAM and
faster disks is likely to help you most.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.