[isf-wifidog] Lot WiFiDog, Vol 35, Parution 9

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Dim 6 Jan 14:44:40 EST 2008

On 4 January 2008, Adam Evers wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> First off I love your software! Its amazing.  Thanks so much for everyone
> who put in the time and the effort creating this piece of software.
>
> I have a couple quick questions for you all!
>
> I am wondering the following:
>
> A: For running the Authentication server what spec's for the server do you
> recommend?  What are the minimum's?  What works best for you?  What would
> you suggest? What were the problems you faced?  What hardware are you
> running?

It really depends on the size of your network, number of users, and how
complicated your content delivery scenario is.  The most important thing is
to make sure your postgresql database is vacumed properly and frequently.

ISF's server is a 1.8GHz (or so) intel xeon with 4GB of ram (of which we use
less than 1 for wifidog) and sata disks.

> B: For running the gateway what are the spec's that you recommend? What
> hardware are you running?  What works best for you?  What would you stay
> away from?  What were the problems you faced?

16Mb of ram, 50kb of available disk/flash.  CPU is unlikely to be the limiting
factor.

> C: Has anyone ever used a squid server behind the gateway to track what
> users were doing/going online?

I think the groups from France have.

> D: Can you run a viable business deploying this software as part of our
> service?

Several for-profit companies have, but I cannot speak for them.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.