[isf-wifidog] Green Screens in WiFiDog

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Dim 6 Jan 14:03:49 EST 2008

On 5 January 2008, Don Druce wrote:
> Can someone explain to me, the sequence of events *and timing* that will
> cause the _Uh oh! Internet access unavailable_   Green Screen   to
> appear, or can you direct me to some documentation that will help me
> understand the process.

1-Unplug the router from the internet (or unplug the auth server from the
Internet)
2-It will take from 0 to "CheckInterval" seconds for the gateway to detect the
that the auth server (or the entire internet) is down.
3-If you request a web site and either:
	a) The domain name is in the cache of the router's DNS server
	b) The domain name is in your local DNS cache
	c) The auth server is down, but not the Internet
you'll get the green screen until the situation is resolved (in which case
you'll get splashed the login page or (or get the requested site if your
session is still valid) or a) and b) are no longer true, in which case your
get an unable to resolve message (or a completely vague error message if
running Internet explorer).
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.