[isf-wifidog] Windows Vista

Benoit Grégoire benoitg at coeus.ca
Sam 2 Fév 15:40:56 EST 2008

On 1 February 2008, Andrew wrote:
> A follow-up with a more detailed question...
>
> So I have done some more testing and demonstrated that Windows Vista
> definitely has some mechanism to direct the browser to the preset homepage
> and bypass the 'Splash Only' page.

How did you demonstrate it?

> My question for the list is: what mechanism does the WiFiDog agent (on my
> router) use to redirect to the splash-only page?  Is it a proxy of some
> type, or a simple http redirect?

a http 307 redirect

> My theory is that Vista thinks WiFiDog is just a clever website trying to
> take control of the browser and redirect to an advertisement, etc.

It's also possible that vista makes some other http request before the home
page is requested (RSS feed, windows update, soap, or something).  Wifidog
will redirect it.  If it follows the redirect and retrieves the portal,
wifidog will consider that the client has seen the portal, and sop
redirecting any further requests.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.