[isf-wifidog] regarding an ubuntu gateway

Osvaldo Suarez osvaldo.baires at gmail.com
Mar 16 Déc 08:23:16 EST 2008

Hi:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:37 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> I don't think you can setup wifidog on a bridge - I suspect you will a
> non-bridging (but routing) interface.
Yeap, first time I realized that so I created a second bridge
interface (to force routing between the internal and the external
network). The problem was the routing interface, I was using as the
gateway interface a virtual interface (tap0 in the br1 bridge) with an
IP assigned to it, that was wrong. As soon as I deleted tap0 and setup
the bridge interface (br1) with the gateway IP, the wifidog gateway
started working just fine! (the virtual machine was using tap1 in
br1).
Thank you for the tip and also to Reggie.

Just for the record, the final setup was something like that:
Ubuntu 8.04 as a gateway and authentication server with a windows xp
virtual machine running on virtualbox-2.2.
two bridges:
* br0 with eth1 (I use this bridge for the virtual machines usually)
..br0 has the external ip which i use to connect to internet
..eth1 has no ip
* br1 with tap1
..br1 has the gateway interface ip for the wifidog daemon
..tap1 (could be tap0 also) has no ip, you could setup a dhcpd server
for the br1 interface on the ubuntu host, or setup a fixed ip address
directly on the xp machine.

Hope thats helps someone.
Regards
Osvaldo