[isf-wifidog] rogue gateways?

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Jeu 6 Sep 16:18:03 EDT 2007

> From a technical perspective, the value is limited, I agree.  But from a
> security/trust/legal perspective, it's troubling.  Our name, our AUP, and
> our "reputation" are being used (even if unintentionally) by someone else.

You are not alone in being uncomfortable with that.  Max Horvath is especially
adamant about it.  When we design the Wifidog 2.0 protocol, we will at least
plan for a way to sign every messages.  Maybe you can gather enough support
to actually implement it, or maybe a commercial provider will eventually pay
to have it done.

> Also, it makes our user/usage stats that much less accurate.

That IS a bit of a problem, but see below.

> The best I can think of to do for now is to put a notice on the login &
> portal pages for the 'default' node, explaining to users that they're not
> *actually* logging into a Wireless Toronto node.  (And perhaps an appeal to
> the node owner to get in touch with us.)

You can do that.

Also, as soon as http://dev.wifidog.org/ticket/358 (days) and ideally
http://dev.wifidog.org/ticket/147 (weeks) are fixed you'll be able to move
the node to another network.  That will solve the stats problem (save for
malicious manipulation, but hopefully WT didn't make that many tech-saavy
enemies).

The other thing you can do is to completely delete the default node.  Deleting
it will cascade-delete the stats of every connection to a gateway with
ID "default".