[isf-wifidog] rogue gateways?

Gabe Sawhney gabe at pwd.ca
Jeu 6 Sep 14:48:33 EDT 2007

This is a weird one...

Today I received a support call from a user -- her password wasn't working.
I asked what hotspot she was logging into, and as it turns out, she's in
downtown Ottawa.  Wireless Toronto doesn't have any hotspots in Ottawa, and
our tech support phone number is only available on our login & portal pages.

So I did a little digging, and this user has been logging into our network
for the past 2 months, on the node with gw_id "default".  We use that node
only for testing, and I hadn't noticed that it's been "up" for a while now.

So, apart from trying to figure out who is running this, I'm wondering about
the question of "rogue" gateways.  Has anyone had this happen to them
before?  And a related question: what would happen if two gateways were
reporting the same gw_id?

We *do* have full step-by-step instructions on our wiki about how we set up
our routers, and I'd thought that the benefit-to-the-community aspect would
outweigh the too-much-sensitive-information issue, but now I guess I have to
reconsider.

Has anyone thought about an authentication scheme for gateways?  A cert
system, maybe, like OpenVPN uses?

Gabe