[isf-wifidog] WifiDog and RoamAD

Dylan Reeve dylan at bunkermedia.co.nz
Mer 5 Sep 19:04:35 EDT 2007

We've recently moved our community network onto a commercial platform
operated on RoadAD hardware. I thought I'd drop you a line to let you
know what I've learned.

The main thing is: WifiDog and RoamAD won't play together.

There's no especially easy way to get WifiDog operating on the RoamAD
platform. Although in certain circumstances is probably could be done.

The RoamAD supported access points do run a version of Linux, I believe,
so in theory it might actually be possible, but that is a big maybe.

What could work, however is using RoamAD's networking technology only,
and simply using a VLAN from the Wireless network to a single server,
where access could be controlled with WifiDog. However the limitation
here appears to be that the direct traffic routing features appear to be
all or nothing - so while the RoamAD software and associated hardware
support multiple unique SSIDs (up to 16 on the platform we're on I
believe) raw VLAN-style traffic routing can't be setup for just one of
the SSIDs, it has to apply to the whole node. So all SSIDs on that node
would be routed over that link.

The way we're integrating with our RoamAD platform is no without
WifiDog. A client connecting to an SSID for the first time is redirected
to a configurable login URL within a 'walled garden' IP range. That is
on our server. That page has a simple Username/Password form, which
submits to a specific URL. Requests from the client's browser to that
URL are intercepted by the node, and then a Radius request is generated
with the submitted username and password and delivered to a Radius
server that has been defined for that SSID. If the Radius request is
sucessful the client is redirected to a 'Success' page, otherwise they
are given a login failure popup message and redirected to the login page.

It's simple and fairly easy to implement, but a little limited in some
respects.

This is based on our specific usage on a commercial metro wifi network
deployed on RoamAD hardware.

--
Dylan Reeve
Bunker Media