[isf-wifidog] Wifidog doesn't read login template!

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mar 4 Sep 16:13:47 EDT 2007

> Wadih took a look at the /login/login.php file, and found that the HTML of
> the login page is hard-coded in there (line 249 et seq.), and that the
> login.tpl is indeed not being read!

Indeed, login.tpl is a file we forgot to commit in some previous commit.  It's
gone now, sorry about that.

> So, my question is, why is the login page HTML hard coded inside
> /login/index.php instead of being read from the template? Is this a bug, or
> a feature? :-)

It's a feature.

No matter how adamantly I tell people NOT to edit the static Smary templates,
and how many pages of documentation I write about the right way to do it and
WHY, they keep doing it instead of either:
-Using the facilities meant for customization (they are not perfect, but it's
not like there's a shortage of them).
-Sending patches to add the flexibility that they need (a hook for a dynamic
template somewhere, a css hook to change the behaviour of something, getting
a static string that isn't generic out, etc.)
-Sending a patch to improve the behaviour of the default UI.

Furthermore, in some cases, like the former login.tpl, the template actually
made developpement harder even for the core developpers, because that
template was starting to contain more branching code than HTML.

I consider the fact that it removing it made a local "dirty hack" harder a
very positive side effect.

If the community want wifidog to cater to everyone's need, members of the
community must not work alone on the sidelines.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.