[isf-wifidog] Bandwidth control implementation

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mar 15 Mai 23:06:07 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Davide Saurino wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> in our company we're going to create a wireless network and we've
> focused our attention on WiFiDog.
> I read that Bandwidth limiting isn't still implemented and I'd like to
> know if this implementation is planned for the next future.
> Furthermore, I think that in order to implement such a feature we
> should only:
> - retrieve user group information from the authentication server;
> - insert the right user info into the router through iproute2.
>
> But it seems too simple  :-)
>
> Any info or suggest?

Indeed, it is too simple.  The plan so far (on the gateway side) is to allow
bandwidth limiting per user (absolute and relative), as well as true fair
queuing.  It will most definitely not be class based.  Off course, once done
it will be trivial to implement simplified classes auth-server side if you
need them.

But first, we must do the wifidog protocol redesign, and start working on
gateway 2.0.  Unless someone commits significant funding or very significant
developer time towards advanced bandwidth shaping, work is unlikely to start
untill well after auth server 1.0 is released.

Many other products already do the simple class based bandwidth limiting you
seem to want.  But none of that is of much use when the goal is to share a
limited upstream in the most efficient way possible, which is what most
community groups need to do.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.