[isf-wifidog] Is Wifidog for me?

karl wettin karl.wettin at gmail.com
Ven 29 Juin 13:02:41 EDT 2007

Grettings list.

I'm setting up a hotspot WLAN using multiple OpenWRT routers. I would
very much appreciate your thoughts and comments on my needs.

At this time I want to use MAC-address as authentification and will
not be requiring a secure net logon scheme. The most important factor
is that one should be able to connect with any computer without
having to do anything but selecting the right SSID.

Captive portal for non-registred MAC:s. Optimally there was a feature
that just forwarded the request to any httpd (including the one in
the router) as a POST with meta data about the client as long the
state is preauth, set to auth with a http POST back to the router.

Are any of these things something Wifidog can help me with? Or are
there perhaps some other project? I don't mind hacking some code.

I also have some questions that probably is better asked in some
network throughput forum, but I thought people here might be familiar
with the pattern.

Registred users should be QoS prioritized in at least three levels.

Non registred users should be prioritized in a level below all
registred users, restricted to a few kilobytes per second after
transmitting more than a certain amount of data, resetted by a
nightly cronjob or so.

Now I'm not certain how much CPU it takes to see how much someone is
transfering, but I'm OK with running it as a cronjob every 10 minutes
or so if that help.

Are there any tools that can help me to automate this a bit, or do I
need to code that mechanism? I relalize it is mostly setting up
shaping rules and what not in config files.

I'm still not sure on the network design. It will probably start as
4-5 WDS wrts and one that handle them all. If this is too much for
the poor CPU I might have to figure out a way to run this stuff
distributed on the wrts. Open for suggestions.

All comments appreciated.

--
karl