[isf-wifidog] Gateway not noticing logouts.

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mer 27 Juin 16:12:47 EDT 2007

On 27 June 2007, Christian Svensson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My hacking continues. Now I've encountered a problem which is quite
> irritating: Why isn't the gateway informed by the auth server when a user
> logs out? Instead it seems to rely on timeouts (!?).
>
> This creates two issues for me:
> 1. I can't logout, then login on another account directly after but
> have to wait a couple of minutes.
> 2. When I log out, internet access is still allowed until timeout.
>
> Is this really how it's supposed to be, or did I break something?

It's not until timeout, it's until the gateway sends it's next counter update
to the auth server.  There is no way the auth server can assume it can talk
back to the gateway, who may be behind several layers of NAT, or otherwise
firewalled.  With the default configuration, the lag time between logout and
the gateway modifying the firewall rules can be up to 60 seconds.

For other reasons, I'm currently working on integrating a manual logout URL on
the gateway (based on David's work), but I am not planning to integrate
support for this on the auth server anytime soon.