[isf-wifidog] Validation Email problems

Jeff Schallenberg schallenberg.jeff at gmail.com
Sam 9 Juin 13:54:04 EDT 2007

We at Montérégie Sans Fil (http://www.monteregiesansfil.org) (MSF) are
having some startup problems - mainly with new subscribers not receiving the
validation email.

If I look at the (very short) user management page at
http://auth.monteregiesansfil.org, I see that fully one-third are still in
validation state, meaning the portal closed before they picked up their
validation email.

If I look at the (very long) user management page at
http://auth.ilesansfil.org, I see about the same ratio for recent
registrations.

Concerning the MSF registrations, we the technical support group are at our
wits' end trying to figure out why the validation email works for some and
not for others. We have tried creating new userids for ourselves using
different accounts (gmail, hotmail, yahoo), and sometimes the validation
email is received, sometimes not. There seems no rhyme or reason to the
successes and failures.

My questions are:

1) Is this a common experience among WiFiDog users?
2) What can we check in our network setup that might be causing this
seemingly-random problem?
3) How can we monitor the validation process on our auth server, to see if
the validation emails are being sent, or if they are in the mail queue?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

--
- Jeff