[isf-wifidog] reusing reusable content elements

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Dim 7 Jan 22:40:55 EST 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 19:10, Dana Spiegel wrote:
> i have the same problem. I spoke to benoit a couple of months ago
> about this issue, and he indicated it was intentional, but that it
> should be changed to allow multiple inclusions (the concept behind
> which content should appear on which page on a node is broken because
> of some assumptions that don't hold up).

Exactly, the Content linking logic predates the existence of areas and pages
in the layout manager.

Basically the behaviour problem is in Content::getLinkedContentUI() and simple
to fix.  The call to getSelectExistingContentUI() should have everything
after "AND is_persistent=TRUE " removed.

The problem is that this will then crash in processLinkedContentUI if you
actually content twice to a node or page.   The current double primary key in
the link table would have to become quadruple in the database schema, and the
logic in Content::processLinkedContentUI (and possibly also MainUI,
portal.php and login.php) updated to reflect that.

Nothing impossible, but nothing trivial either.  We never hit this problem at
ISF, as we use ContentGroups to make most of our content more manageable,
which has the side effect of sidestepping this issue.

> I've been meaning to look at this issue and fix it, but if someone
> else can take a crack at it, that would be much appreciated.

Indeed.
--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.