[isf-wifidog] Questions regarding WiFiDog

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Dim 23 Déc 22:41:58 EST 2007

On 18 October 2007, Eduardo Bejar wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I´m testing wifidog svn 1247 and wifidog-auth svn 1301 on a linux server,
> and would like to ask you the following config questions:
>
> 1) How can I make wifidog redirect an authenticated user to the original
> URL he was requesting? Currently the user opens the browser and gets the
> login screen. He logs and he is redirected to the portal. How to redirect
> him to the URL he wrote in the first place at the browser URL bar?

Humm, that's a REALLY easy feature to implement, but no one has done so yet.
You should open a ticket.

> 2) Is it possible to create user profiles in order to make, for example,
> that certain users can only log for limited time and others log for
> unlimited time? If so, how?

Not untill this is implemented:
http://dev.wifidog.org/wiki/doc/developer/TokenArchitecture

> 3) Has anyone experience with adding users directly to the database from a
> custom admin page? Which fields should be included?

That's not a very good idea.  If you want to manage users outside wifidog, you
should use RADIUS.

> 4) Is it possible to authenticate users only by user/password and not by
> MAC addresses? When using NAT routers, wifidog sees only one MAC address,
> so if one laptop authenticates, then the others get authenticated because
> all use the same MAC address.

That's not possible with captive portal technology.  You have to make sure
there is a wifidog gateway on every subnet.