[isf-wifidog] Wanted: Type-N/MIMO router capable of WiFiDog installation

Jeff Schallenberg schallenberg.jeff at gmail.com
Mar 14 Aou 09:10:49 EDT 2007

For our fledgling WiFiDog network Montérégie Sans Fil  (
http://www.monteregiesansfil.org), it would be nice to be able to install
WiFiDog onto a type-N/MIMO wireless router/access point.

Why?, you may well ask.

Well, we just lost a hotspot sale because the owner (actually, the owner's
technically-savvy son) is convinced he needs a type-N signal in his venue.

This un-named potential hotspot is typical - the cable modem, wired router,
and a D-Link DIR-655 Type N/MIMO wireless router are installed under the
counter upstairs. Two POS terminals are connected to the wired router.

The owner's son has an office in the basement, where he works for the venue
as well as doing school work. His Mac portable is equipped, he says, with a
type-N wireless interface.

I temporarily installed one of our Linksys WRT54G routers, flashed with
X-WRT and WiFiDog, under the counter upstairs, and the owner's son and I
tested the Internet connection on his portable downstairs.

The Linksys 802.11G signal managed to get through the tile floor at a
measured level of -82 dBm (2 to 3 bars on the Mac icon), and when the son
did a speed test, it only managed 219 kbps.

When he connected to the unencrypted type N signal, at -76 dBm (5 bars on
the icon), he measured a download speed of 1525 kbps.

So, the son is convinced he needs a type N connection to work downstairs.
And he wouldn't consider simply *adding* our G technology to his network to
provide WiFiDog-secured service to his customers upstairs, and keeping his
type-N router for his personal, encrypted connection.

I checked on the OpenWRT hardware list. The D-Link DIR-655 is "Untested".
There is a Linksys WRT300N on the list, but it is a "Work in progress"

So, my question to this WiFiDog mailing list is - do you know of any Type
N/MIMO wireless router(s) that will support WiFiDog?

--
- Jeff Schallenberg